
Heritage Study
Copenhagen Central Station
Denmark's largest station was roofed in timber in 1911, when iron and concrete were both available. The reason was not taste: iron cost 150,000 kroner more and every other method took twice as long. The two stations before it, the thirteen years of refusals, the arches, and how to see it.
The building in brief
- Built
- 1904–1911
- FBB 3100426
- Opened
- 30 November 1911
- Trap Danmark
- Architect
- Heinrich Wenck, chief architect to the State Railways
- FBB 3100426
- Extension
- South wing to Bernstorffsgade extended 1922–1925, also by Wenck
- FBB 3100426
- The main hall
- 138 m long, 20 m high
- Lex
- Platform halls
- Six arched bays, each 12 m high, spanning about 19 m
- Lex
- Roof structure
- Timber arches in six bays, carried on exposed cast-iron columns
- Trap Danmark
- Materials
- Red brick laid fair-faced; pitched roofs hung with slate
- Trap Danmark
- Address
- Bernstorffsgade 10–22, Copenhagen V
- FBB 3100426
- Protection
- Listed, registered 31 December 1983
- FBB 3100426
- What the listing covers
- The vestibule, the main hall, the six platform halls, the two wings to Bernstorffsgade and the extension of the south wing
- FBB 3100426
Every figure is taken from the registers or from the reference works; none is an estimate. The source stands against each row.
A hundred thousand people walk under it every day and almost none of them look up.
If they did, they would see something odd. The roof over Copenhagen Central Station is made of wood. Not steel, not iron, not the glass and lattice that every other great European station of that century reached for. Timber arches, a hundred and thirty-eight metres of them, twenty metres over your head, under black slate.
In 1911 that was already the old way to build. Over the platforms we know exactly why they did it, because an engineering magazine printed the reason six months before the station opened, while the arches were still going up.
It was cheaper. Iron would have cost a hundred and fifty thousand kroner more — about eleven and a half million kroner today, or a million and a half euro. Concrete would have cost a hundred thousand more, close to eight million kroner now. And it was faster: anything else would have taken twice as long.
Over the great hall nobody wrote the reason down at all. This study says both, because the difference is the honest part.
That is a duller reason than the one this study went looking for. It is also the true one, and the building has been standing on it for a hundred and fifteen years.
This is the second study in this archive. The first was Martin Nyrop's City Hall, six minutes' walk away. Wenck and Nyrop were students together at the Academy. Two classmates built the two biggest rooms in central Copenhagen out of the same red brick, a few years apart.

Why it is here
There were two stations before this one
Copenhagen has had three main stations. This is the third.
The first opened on 26 June 1847 with the line to Roskilde. It stood in Dronningens Enghave, outside the ramparts, on ground the army controlled. Nothing permanent could be built there: the fortress needed a clear field of fire, so anything in the way had to come down when war came. That station was built in wood for that reason. Its tracks ran at right angles to today's, out along what is now Halmtorvet and Sønder Boulevard. It lasted eighteen years and was pulled down in 1865.
The second opened in 1864, designed by Johan Daniel Herholdt. It stood on the far side of Vesterbrogade, roughly where Axelborg and the Palads cinema stand now. The military rule had lapsed by then; brick outside the fortifications had been allowed since 1852. Herholdt built in brick: two long buildings of twenty-five bays each, joined by a timber arch hall under slate, over four tracks.
It had one way in and out. Every train reached it across Sankt Jørgens Sø on the Gyldenløvesgade embankment.
Herholdt's is the one that matters here. When the engineering press came to describe Wenck's main hall in 1912, the building it reached for by way of comparison was Herholdt's.
Two railways that never met
Copenhagen's real problem was not that the old station was small. It was that the city had two railway systems and no track between them.
Trains from the north — the Coast Line from Helsingør, the Klampenborg trains — ended at Østerbro, later Østerport. Everything else ended at Herholdt's station on Vesterbro. The two ends sat on opposite sides of the vanished ramparts, close enough to walk between, with nothing joining them. To move a train from one to the other you sent it out to Valby, round the western edge of the city through Nørrebro, and back in from the north.
Goods made it worse. Freight for the north harbour and the Free Port had to be worked through the passenger station, and the tracks crossed the surrounding streets at grade. Level crossings shut those streets again and again.
The man who saw the answer was an engineer named Holger Hammerich. In 1885 he put forward a plan for rearranging Copenhagen's railways, and it got attention. Put the missing link underground, he argued, beneath the boulevards being laid out on the demolished ramparts. Hence the name it still has: the Boulevard Line.
Hammerich went into the Copenhagen city council in 1887 and the Folketing at the end of that decade, and kept the seat for the rest of his life. So when the Rigsdag passed the construction act in March 1904 — the act that ordered both the Boulevard Line and this station — the man whose idea it was was sitting in the chamber. He had waited nineteen years.
He never rode it. Hammerich died on 4 October 1915, two years before the first trains ran through. In 1917 the city named a street after him. Walk north out of the station across Vesterbrogade and Bernstorffsgade becomes Hammerichsgade, running along the east side of the railway cut he argued for.
Why the new station had to be built first
The tunnel's line ran straight through Herholdt's station.
So the act set the order of work: build the new station, move all the traffic onto it, then dig. That is the whole explanation of this building. It is not a station that was replaced because it wore out. It is a station built so that something else could happen.
They built it close to where the first station had stood, in Dronningens Enghave. Sixty-four years on, the railway came back to where it started.
The scale of the swap is the plainest measure of why. Herholdt's station had four tracks under one roof. Wenck's has twelve through platform tracks and six passenger platforms.

North of Vesterbrogade nothing could be touched until the traffic had moved, and that excavation did not start until September 1913. The last of the ramparts came down between 1912 and April 1914.
One thing was moved rather than dug through. Frihedsstøtten, the monument of the 1790s to the ending of adscription, stood in the way. It was taken down in 1909–10 and re-erected 5.3 metres east, in a copy cut by the sculptor Jens Lund in 1911. Lund is the man who carved the sandstone figures on this station's own facade in 1910. Two commissions, one sculptor, one building site.
The eastern pair of tracks opened on 1 December 1917, six years to the day after the station went into traffic. Nørreport followed on 1 July 1918, with two round neo-baroque pavilions on Frederiksborggade drawn by Wenck; Copenhagen called them the soup tureens, and pulled them down in 1932. The last two tracks opened on 1 October 1921, seventeen years after the vote.

What happened to the old one
Herholdt's station closed to trains on 1 December 1911. The municipality took the empty building over and used it that winter as a warming house for the homeless — a vast railway hall, no trains, full of people with nowhere else to be.
In the summer of 1912 it was leased to Constantin Philipsen, who had opened Denmark's first permanent cinema, Kosmorama on Østergade, in 1904. He took out the tracks and platforms and laid fifty-eight staggered rows of seats on the floor where they had been. The conversion cost 150,000 kroner. He kept the arched ceiling, for the acoustics.
Palads Teatret opened on 17 October 1912. The first film was Urban Gad’s “The General’s Children”, with Asta Nielsen in the lead. Philipsen advertised 2,500 seats and the newspapers repeated it. Somebody eventually counted: 1,780. That was still the largest cinema in northern Europe, and the second largest in Europe after the Gaumont Palace in Paris.
It was also a railway hall, and it showed. The screen was six metres by six, small in a room that size, so the house rented out opera glasses.
The demolition then came in stages around the tenant. The north end of the main building went in February 1916, and the rest of the main building that autumn. The cinema kept playing. Its last programme was a revival of its own biggest hit, Quo Vadis?, from 17 to 30 April 1917, and the hall came down after that.
So the old station was demolished by the very railway project its replacement had been built to make possible.
Philipsen had already sold out, in September 1915, to a consortium under Sophus Madsen. They bought a plot on Axeltorv and had Andreas Clemmensen and Johan Nielsen draw a new Palads in neo-baroque, 1,519 seats in the main auditorium, opened on 25 January 1918. The Palads people queue outside today is the grandchild of Herholdt's station, not the station itself.
The roof went to Jutland
The building was destroyed. The roof was not.
Aarhus was laying out a sports park and needed to span two halls. On 29 July 1918 the Interior Ministry granted 22,600 kroner "for the purchase of timber arches from Copenhagen's old railway station" — the grant wording, translated from the Danish. The state shipped Herholdt and Unmack's arches to Jutland.
Axel Høeg-Hansen designed the stadium building around them, classical in outline and painted in the national colours, red and white. Two arched halls joined by an open colonnade, lit by skylights and electric light. Only the western hall got a wooden floor, so that was the one used for lectures and concerts as well as sport. It opened on 22 February 1920, and the park was inaugurated on 5 June 1920.
A date to flag. Danish railway sources put the re-erection at 1916–18. Aarhus city archive records the purchase on 29 July 1918, the stadium building not quite finished in September 1919, and the western hall in use from February 1920. This study follows the archive that paid the bill.
Then half of it burned. Under the occupation the Germans took both halls for storage. On 27 March 1943 four Aarhus boys aged sixteen to nineteen set fire to mattresses inside the eastern hall. It was the first sabotage action in Aarhus, and the hall burned to the ground. Hans Petersen, Willi Clausen, Svend Rye Jensen and Harry Ib Brønnum Jensen were sentenced that May to terms from eighteen months to eight years and four months. A replacement hall was not finished until 1954.
The western hall is still standing, and you can walk into it. It is at Stadion Allé 70 in Aarhus, part of Ceres Park & Arena, in service as one of two ordinary sports halls — known locally as nothing grander than hal 1 and hal 2. The Danish Association of Architects describes it flatly as the one surviving original hall, with "arches from Copenhagen's old railway station". Louis Armstrong played two concerts under those arches in 1955 to more than 7,000 people.
It is being looked after as this is written. Zaha Hadid Architects' new Aarhus stadium is going up alongside, the ground turned out to be soft, and the contractors had to sink a secant pile wall to stop the 1920 halls moving. The work put the stadium about five months behind.
The oldest thing on that site is a Copenhagen railway roof from 1864. It is also the thing they stopped to protect.
The new station had to be built first. The old one was standing in its own way.

Who drew it, and the fight to get it built
Heinrich Wenck
Heinrich Emil Charles Wenck, 1851–1936. Born in Aarhus on 10 March 1851, into railways.
His father, Heinrich Theodor Wenck, was an army engineer officer, colonel in 1864. From 1855 to 1863 the father was royal commissioner for the Altona–Kiel railway. From 1864 he was the Interior Ministry's technical adviser on railway matters and sat on the board of the Zealand railways, which became the State Railways in 1880. Dansk Biografisk Leksikon says the son was possibly led into it by his father's posts. When the father died in 1885, the son designed his grave.
Wenck trained at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts from 1869 to 1876, under Ferdinand Meldahl and Christian Hansen. He won the Academy's small gold medal in 1878, for a library in gothic style. He took the travelling scholarship and spent 1883 to 1885 abroad, in Italy and England.
Martin Nyrop took his Academy diploma in the same year, 1876, and won the same small gold medal in 1877, one year before Wenck. Nyrop won the City Hall competitions of 1889 and 1890 and built it between 1892 and 1905. Wenck built his station between 1904 and 1911. The two men came out of the same building school.
Wenck joined the State Railways in 1882. From 1891 he was doing more and more of the chief architect's work, because N.P.C. Holsøe's eyes were failing. He took the post himself in 1894 and held it until 1921.
What a hundred and fifty stations means
Around 150 station buildings in the years he ran the office. By name: Helsingør 1889–91, with Holsøe. Kongens Lyngby 1890–91. The Coast Line stations of 1895–97 — Skodsborg, Vedbæk, Humlebæk and the rest — which won him the Eckersberg Medal in 1898. Esbjerg 1902–04. Gedser 1903. Korsør 1906. Odense 1912–14.
It was not only stations. The same office drew gatekeepers' houses, a command post, an engine shed, railwaymen's houses, goods sheds and toilet buildings — and, following German practice, signs, door handles, frescoes and chandeliers. He also drew the State Railways' central workshops at Otto Busses Vej, on a site of 160,000 square metres. Slots- og Kulturstyrelsen counts more than 300 buildings behind him and calls him Denmark's most productive railway architect.
What ties them together is not a style. It is the paint. Swedish red and bottle green: he introduced the pair on the Coast Line and they became his signature. They are on Copenhagen Central Station too. If you have taken a train in Denmark you have stood in a building Wenck drew, and you can often tell by the colour of the woodwork.
Thirteen years of being told no
His schemes for this site run 1892, 1896, 1904, and then a whole series in 1905. Read the drawings in order.
1892. One long elevation, signed H. Wenck, marked PLAN II, with a scale bar running to 100 Danish ells and the crowned stamp of the Chief Engineer for the State Railway Works. Two great arched sheds turn glazed gables to the street. Wenck's own first idea for Copenhagen turned the glass toward the city.
1896. A photographic print pasted on a mount, lettered "Project for Copenhagen Central Station" and signed H.W. 1896. Now the station turns a wall to the city. The great arch over the square holds a rose window set in masonry, not a glazed gable. In four years the glass had turned away from the street.
1904. A ground plan inscribed "Plan B. Laid before the meeting of 26 October 1904". Two hands have signed it, one of them Wenck's. The order is the reverse of what was built: departure hall nearest the platforms, arrival hall furthest away. Beyond them a hall for cabs. The royal waiting room sits in a round tower on the street corner.

1905. Four different main entrances, two street fronts, three side exits. Parliament had passed the construction act in March 1904, and he was still having doors turned down.
One of those sheets is signed H. Wenck, Jan 190–, the last digit unreadable. Its cartouche reads "Proposal for the arrangement of Copenhagen's railway situation". Along the foot of the drawing the openings are lettered, in the sheet's own mix of tongues: a cycle depot, a counter for handing back bicycles and prams, a lavatory, a way out. He was still drawing the small things.
None of these fronts was built. You can check that from the pavement.
Who was saying no, and on what grounds
The Rigsdag. The refusals that are on record run from 1898 to 1902: Wenck put up proposal after proposal for a station of several storeys, and they went down as "unnecessarily lavish". What he kept putting up was not only a station. It was a station with the State Railways' head office on top of it. Parliament bought the station and refused the offices.
Then it went on into the building work. Wenck wanted one roof over all the platforms. The Rigsdag cut it, and for a while it looked as though there would be no platform roofs at all. Money for coverings was granted in the middle of the build. By then the main building was finished, so the halls could no longer be brought up against it, and small roofs had to be patched into the gap.
Two things show how late this ran. A printed bird's-eye view of 1908 shows the station with low platform canopies and no halls at all. And Ingeniøren was reporting the timber arches going up in May 1911, six months before the station opened.
Dansk Biografisk Leksikon puts it in one clause: because of the economic circumstances, the main station in its final form became only "a stunted version" of his first sketch.
That is worth holding onto when you stand in the hall and find it magnificent. You are looking at the economised one.
The rival who may not have been one
Thomas Arboe, 1836–1917, is the other name in this story. He trained at the Academy from 1855 to 1862, served as an army officer up to captain, and from 1868 was an architect to the Jutland–Funen railways, from 1880 in Aarhus for the State Railways. Aarhus's second main station, 1883–84, is his, with W.A. Thulstrup — and afterwards the two of them disagreed about who had drawn what. Thulstrup said Arboe did only the front. Arboe claimed the whole building.
A print in Danmarks Jernbanemuseum's catalogue carries a line in pen below the image: Arkitekt Arboe's Projekt 1892. It shows two great arched sheds with glazed gables to the street, a centre block with two spired towers, a winged figure above the parapet, and a clock dial to each side of the great arch.

That is the same building as Wenck's signed sheet of 1892.
The two were compared crop for crop at matched scale while this study's drawings were catalogued. They agree in every part: the star ornament at the apex of each arch, the finials, the number and rhythm of the openings along the parapet, the position of the standing figure on the corner, even the band of lettering across the front, letter position for letter position.
One difference. The pen date on the Arboe print reads plainly. The year under Wenck's signature does not; 1892 there is the catalogue's reading, not the sheet's.
So one of two things is true. Either two men's names sit on one design, or one of the attributions is wrong.
Why Arboe's scheme lost is recorded nowhere we can find. On this evidence it is not even certain there was a contest to lose. The study prints what the sheets show and leaves the question open.
The sentence everyone quotes
The speeches on 30 November 1911 were made by Crown Prince Christian and the traffic minister, Thomas C. Larsen. The Crown Prince said the station would surely stand as a monumental memorial of Danish building art at the beginning of the twentieth century.
The line always quoted from Wenck is this. The building should be "fitting for Denmark, for our country's circumstances and its character" — so that the last impression a departing Dane took away was the same one that met an arriving foreigner: something Danish.
Read that twice. It is a whole architectural argument in one sentence. Not beautiful, not modern, not impressive: of this place, and working as both a farewell and a greeting.
One honest note about it. The wording is everywhere in Danish, and every trail leads to the same place: a Danish National Archives web feature made for the station's centenary in 2011, which is no longer online. No printing of it from 1911 has been found. Illustreret Tidende covered the new station — Johannes V. Jensen in January 1911, Carl Schiøtz on 26 November, four days before it opened — but none of that is by Wenck. The sentence may well be his. This study cannot yet show where it was first printed, or that he said it at the opening.

How it is put together
The order of work
The 1904 act did not only pay for a station. It set a sequence.
The Boulevard Line was voted by the Rigsdag in March 1904 as part of a larger construction act — one that, in the record's words, "also covered the building of the present main station".
The site helped. The new station went up roughly where the first station of 1847 had stood. Herholdt's 1864 station was on separate ground, with Vesterbrogade between them, and it ran until the day the traffic moved. The builders were not working inside a live station. They were working next to one.
Then the dates, in the order they happened:
- 1907 — the bridge came first. Tietgensgade was carried over the future cutting on a bridge 128.7 metres long and 18.2 metres wide, drawn by Wenck himself. It opened on 1 December 1907, four years to the day before the trains arrived. The street crossed the railway before there was a railway to cross.
- April 1908 — the digging starts. A photograph in the Danmarks Arkiv collection is captioned "Digging out for Copenhagen's third main station — April 1908". Another in the same set is dated 14 August 1908.
- 1910 — Jens Lund cuts the sandstone figures for the facade.
- May 1911 — the timber arches are going up. Ingeniøren describes them in the present tense on 20 May.
- 30 November 1911 — opened. 1 December — the traffic moves, on the day the record notes that the cutting in front of the main entrance and the Vesterbrogade viaduct also stood ready.
One caution. The reference works say the station was "built 1906–11", and the photographs say the excavation began in April 1908. Both can be true — there is ground work before there is a hole — but if you want a date for the first spade, 1908 is the one with a picture attached.
How you dig a railway through a working city
The station cutting could be dug because it was dug on railway ground. The hard part came next, north of the station, and it is the same operation continued: the Boulevard Line. The excavations still outstanding began in 1911 and were finished in 1914.
That cutting averaged nine metres deep over 3.2 kilometres, 1,525 of them in covered tunnel, and was dug wide enough for four standard-gauge tracks. At Nørreport it opened out to thirty metres. The sides were shored as the work went, which the owners of the houses along the boulevards valued — "so their houses did not slide and their foundation walls did not crack", as the account puts it. At least three steam excavators worked the line. About seven hundred men were on it. One contract alone moved 300,000 cubic metres of earth in eighty tip wagons, out past Østerbro Station to Svanemøllebugten, where it filled about fifteen hectares of sea. A second contract moved 155,000 cubic metres, tipped at Kalvebod Strand.
A city got a tunnel and a shoreline out of the same work.
It is a bridge
The tracks are sunk below street level and the building sits over them. That is the thing to understand about this station.
The Danish national encyclopaedia puts it in one line: the great two-aisled main hall, 138 metres long and 20 metres high, "lies like a bridge across all the tracks".

So the parts most people think of as "the station" — the ticket hall, the concourse, the shops — are on a bridge. When you walk in off Bernstorffsgade you do not go down to the trains because the trains are underground. You go down because you were already up. The listing calls the hall a large, open, central room "with six stairways down to the platforms" — one each.
Under the brick, the bridge is modern. The foundation, the basement and the deck that carries Banegårdspladsen are all reinforced concrete. The building everybody calls a timber station stands on reinforced concrete.
How tight is the clearance? Tight enough to matter seventy years later. When overhead wires went up for electrification in 1984 there was not enough room. Under the station hall the tracks were lowered 20 to 30 centimetres. Under Tietgensbroen that was not the answer. One night in May 1984 the bridge — 3,600 tonnes of it — was jacked up 255 millimetres at the Bernstorffsgade abutment and 96 millimetres at the far end.
The mistake under the platforms
Somebody forgot the tunnel.
The decision to build a pedestrian subway, so passengers could change platforms without going up into the hall, was taken late. The platforms were already laid. "So the platforms had to be broken completely up again and a tunnel built" — the account's own words.

Further out along the platforms there is a second tunnel. It ran to the Central Post Building and belonged to the postal service.
The shape
Six platform halls cover the tracks. They run out from the main hall and end toward Tietgensbroen in semicircular glazed gables — the same half-round that closed Herholdt's hall, repeated six times.

Each hall is 102 metres long. Each timber arch stands 12 metres to the crown over a span of about 19 metres. Together the halls cover about 12,500 square metres.
Multiply it out — six halls, 102 metres by 19 — and you get about 11,600 square metres. The figures agree.
The roof, and the reason
Both roofs are timber. In 1911 the standard way to span a station of this size was iron or steel; St Pancras had been done in iron in 1868 and every engineer in Europe knew how.
For the platform halls we know exactly why they were not. The Danish engineering weekly Ingeniøren printed it on 20 May 1911, six months before the station opened, while the arches were being raised:
When the State Railways chose this construction, in which an old material is used in a modern way, it is due not only to the price — an iron construction would have been 150,000 kroner dearer, and a reinforced-concrete one 100,000 kroner dearer — but also to the wish to get the work pushed forward quickly. […] Other constructions would presumably have required twice the time.
Money and programme, in that order, with figures, stated at the time.
The same article is careful about something else: these are not interim works or anything of the kind, but real permanent structures. Nobody was building temporary.
And it names the contractor: I. W. Unmack. The firm of Johan Vilhelm Unmack, the carpenter who built Herholdt's timber hall in 1864. The same house roofed both stations, forty-seven years apart.
What the arches are actually made of
Boards. Not beams — boards.
Ingeniøren describes the arches as built up from one-inch by four-inch boards, bent and fastened together. The pieces of wood that carry those roofs are the size of floorboards. There is no great baulk of timber in the construction. That is the point of the method. A thin board will bend to a curve; a thick one will not. So you bend many thin ones and fasten them into the shape you want, and the shape carries the load.
The technique has a name. Victor von Röll's Enzyklopädie des Eisenbahnwesens, the standard German railway encyclopaedia of the day, sets out the family in its article on station halls: for wide spans the builders used Bohlen oder Kreuzholzbogen, board or crossed-timber arches, in two versions — de l'Orme, with the boards standing on edge, and Emy, with the boards laid flat. One is a sixteenth-century invention, the other a nineteenth-century one, and both exist to make a big arch out of small wood.
Röll then names the old Copenhagen hall: Auch die frühere H. des Bahnhofs Kopenhagen hatte eine ganz ähnliche Konstruktion — the earlier hall of Copenhagen station had a quite similar construction, meaning the Emy board arch he has just illustrated from Munich, 1848.
So Herholdt's 1864 roof was a board arch of a known European type. And Wenck's is not the same thing. Röll's entry for the new station calls it eine Holzfachwerkkonstruktion von gefälligem Aussehen — a timber lattice-truss construction of pleasing appearance — carried on iron uprights, six halls of 25 metres span each.
That is the real relationship between the two roofs, and it is better than "inspired by". The old hall was an arch of boards. The new one is a lattice: an open web of small boards, curved, with the load running through the triangles. The material is the grandfather's. The engineering is not.

Röll does not agree with the Danish record on three points, and this study will not pretend he does. He gives the span as 25 metres where the Danish sources give about 19. He calls the supports iron lattice stanchions where the Danish listing calls them cast-iron columns. And he credits the work to a firm he names Stephansdach, where Ingeniøren names I. W. Unmack. All three stay open.
What the cast-iron columns do
They hold the arches up, and they are meant to be seen.

The national listing describes the platform halls as roofed with "a visible, partly red-painted timber arch construction of six arch-spans, carried on visible cast-iron columns". The same document names the protected fabric as the arched timber construction with cast-iron columns over the platforms and in the main hall. Both roofs land on iron.
Nothing is boxed in. The column is a column, the arch is an arch, the paint tells you which is which. Above them the coverings differ: the platform halls carry roofing felt, the main roofs are hung with slate.

The boards were given two coats of a flame-retardant liquid. That was a precaution, not a rule; no fire regulation demanded it.
Six halls, one profile
Ingeniøren was describing the arches going up on 20 May 1911. The station opened on 30 November 1911.
Six identical halls. One arch profile. 102 metres of it repeated six times over. Every piece small enough to be carried and fixed by hand. That is what the State Railways said they were buying: not only the 150,000 kroner, but half the time.
This study could not find an account of the raising itself — no source consulted describes the scaffolding, the order of the bays, or how many men were on it.
The halls that were nearly not built
They almost did not happen at all.
Wenck wanted one great roof over all the platforms. The Rigsdag struck it out as too expensive during construction. For a while, as one account puts it, "it looked as though there would be no platform roofs at all". Then, in the middle of the build, the money was granted after all.
By then the main building was finished. The new roofs could not be brought up against it properly, and Wenck "had to make a patch job", with small roofs bridging between the platform halls and the station building.
You can go and look at the patch. The listing records it without comment: between the platform halls and the south wing there is a half-roof of red-painted timber hung with slate.
One caution on that account. The funding story comes from a source that carries no references for it. The patch it describes is in the listing, so the outcome is documented; the politics behind it is not.
It probably also explains a drawing. The Franz Sedivy bird's-eye view of 1908 — three years before the station opened — shows the station with low platform canopies and no great halls. The study cannot prove Sedivy was drawing an approved scheme rather than guessing, but a station without platform halls is the scheme the budget story describes.

The part nobody explained
The great hall is timber too, and here the record simply stops.
Ingeniøren's full technical account of the finished station, in December 1912, says only this: the roofing of the main hall is executed as a timber construction like the one used in the great hall of the now-closed station.
A resemblance. No reason. No cost, no span, no fire argument, no policy. That single sentence is the entire basis of the "inspired by Herholdt" line that every modern source repeats — and searching the Danish engineering press across 1905 to 1920 turns up nothing further.
So the honest answer is two answers. The platform halls were timber because it was cheaper and quicker. The main hall was timber like the old one, and nobody wrote down why.
A German reviewer noticed. Writing in the Prussian ministry's journal in 1913, de Bruyn observed that timber had been driven from its dominant position by iron, and that it was to be welcomed that here someone had the daring to bring the long-proven material back into honour. That is a reader's admiration a year after the fact, not a reason given by the men who chose.
Trap Danmark adds the other observation worth keeping. The main hall's great open room with its timber arches is "a good example of how engineers came to shape architecture from the middle of the nineteenth century with visible constructions". The roof is the decoration.
The four men over the door
A building that names its own contractor in the trade press and then puts the client, the engineer, the architect and the site architect in stone over its front door has a fairly clear view of who did the work.
One thing to retire. The explanation repeated across the Danish web is that timber was probably a stylistic preference because Wenck rarely used cast iron. It is unsourced, and it is false on the building's own fabric: the timber arches of the platform halls — and of the main hall — stand on visible cast-iron columns.
Iron would cost 150,000 kroner more. Concrete 100,000 more. Everything else would take twice as long. So the platform roofs were built of timber.


What it is made of
Wenck's biographical entry names a habit: "the preferred use of genuine Danish materials". On this building that comes to brick, stone, slate, timber, iron and copper.
The brick
Red brick, laid bare — no render, no paint, the brick itself the finished surface. It stands on a plinth of granite.

The wall is not plain. Five horizontal bands of natural stone run across the facades, which finish in a main cornice. There are blind panels, niches, sill bands of sandstone, and arches turned in brick over the openings, cut from the same material as the wall they interrupt. The original windows are largely still there, in many types, mostly white-painted and divided by glazing bars. White against red, repeated over that many openings, breaks the mass up.

Where the brick came from, nobody appears to have written down. The listing record describes the wall, Trap Danmark describes it, the municipal survey describes it, and not one of them names a brickworks. That is an odd gap in a building whose listing record names its floor tiles.
The stone
Granite for the plinth, and for the six columns of the half-open arcade at the main entrance. Over that arcade sits a lean-to roof carried on carved timber corbels — wood doing a job usually given to stone. Sandstone for the bands, the sill courses, and everything with a figure cut into it.

The copper
Copper for the spires, and for the rainwater that comes off them.

Jens Lund, who cut the figures
Ten sandstone figures stand on the main facade. They are folk types in regional dress. They were cut in 1910, the year before the station opened, by Jens Lund.

Lund was born in Videbæk in 1873 and died in Copenhagen in 1946. He came to sculpture late. He trained first as a house painter, worked as a dairyman, and began learning woodcarving at twenty-one. He followed the Academy from 1896 to 1901, and studied under Vilhelm Bissen and Anders Bundgaard. His biographer credits him with a craftsman's soundness and conscience toward the material, and finds something hesitant and cautious in the man.
The ten figures are not all he cut here. The six granite columns of the arcade carry four faces each. Twenty-four faces, no two of them alike — the difference is the point, because they were meant to stand for the range of people in the country.

Six years later he cut twelve craftsmen in sandstone for the front of the Technological Institute, 1916–17. And from 1914 he held a second post: sculpture conservator at Statens Museum for Kunst. He took the Eckersberg Medal twice, in 1919 and 1920, and was made a knight of Dannebrog in 1934.
Four faces that are not folk types
Above the arches of the main entrance are four portrait heads in sandstone. Over the arch furthest to the right is Heinrich Wenck. Over the others are Charles Ambt, director-general of the State Railways; C.F.S. Ernst, the railway engineer; and Einar Ambt, 1877–1928, the supervising architect. Einar Ambt was at Wenck's office from 1904 to 1912, which is to say the whole build. He was also Charles Ambt's son.
The architect put his own face on the front of the building.
Someone else did the same thing later, without being asked. Hidden between the doors out to Banegårdspladsen there is a small face in fired clay. A bricklayer made it in the 1960s. He had spent years looking after the building, and he left himself in it on the way out.

The shields
Set into the brickwork outside are painted shields, each in a ring of moulded brick: a lamb with a banner, a five-towered church, ships, a lion with a sabre, a castle over water.
One can be named with certainty. The tower over waves with a crescent on its spire, a half-lowered gate grille, an armoured man in the gateway and a star on each side tower is Copenhagen, in the form the city was granted in 1661. Every charge the blazon names is on the carving, and no other Danish arms is built that way.
The rest are close and not exact. The lamb on its flowered mound is almost certainly Assens — but the registered arms give the lamb a halo and this one has none. The gatehouse with two robed men is almost certainly Aarhus — but its star has six points and the arms require seven. The five towers are almost certainly Kalundborg, whose church is the only five-towered one of its kind in northern Europe — but the arms carry a wave at the foot and this shield has no wave. The lion with a sabre and a branch is almost certainly Fredericia — but Fredericia's lion is red on gold and crowned, and this one is gold on blue and bare-headed.
Four near-misses in a row is itself a fact worth reporting. These were cut in 1910 and the arms were formally registered in 1938, so the carver was working from whatever version he had, not from the register that came later.
No source describes these shields. The listing record and Trap Danmark between them mention one coat of arms on this building — the one on the tower between the southern wings — and say nothing about the roundels at all.
There is a documented programme of town arms here, and it is not this one. Wenck's glass paintings in the main hall carry the arms of Danish towns, and the listing protects them. Nothing links the glass indoors to the brick outside, and this study is not going to be the first to claim it.
The creatures, and why they are there
Look up almost anywhere and there is an animal. A hare on a pier in the hall. A fish at the springing of an arch. A crayfish cut into a sandstone band. Monkeys and lions on corbels, birds in the stonework, and several things that are not any animal you could name.
DSB printed the reason in 2008. Per Axel Buur, one of its chief inspectors, gave two ideas of Wenck's. The first is that these are fabeldyr — fable animals, invented ones — and fable animals are always travelling. That, he said, suited a railway station.
The second is about weight. Wenck held that anything heavy and load-bearing should look as though it were being carried by kraftkarle — strong fellows — and that a strong fellow could be an animal as easily as a man. So the creatures are put where the load is: under a cornice, beside the springing of an arch, at the head of a pier.
That explains the placing better than any reading of the individual animals. The crayfish beside the arch is not there because a crayfish means something. It is there because something has to be seen holding the arch up.
The building says the same thing. Four of the creatures — the porcupine, the hare, the fish and the clawed crustacean — sit in the identical position: a rectangular sandstone block at the springing of an arch in the hall arcade, directly above the pier's cap, each cut to the same depth in the same panel. One slot, repeated, filled with a different animal each time. The pier under the porcupine carries 1908 incised in the stone, so they went up with the building and are not a later addition.

That is also what kills the readings that suggest themselves. A hare for speed, fitting for a railway, until you notice the porcupine in the same slot. Danish native fauna, until you notice the porcupine is not a Danish animal. The zodiac, which takes the crab and the fish and leaves the other two stranded. Each is a good guess and the wall refutes it.
Two cautions, and they matter. The explanation comes from a DSB article of 2008 quoting a member of its staff, not from anything Wenck wrote in 1911 — second hand, and ninety-seven years late.
And it stops where it stops. It says why creatures are there and where they go. It does not say what any one of them is meant to be, and nothing else does either: the listing record itemises this building's ornament down to its brass fittings and its wrought-iron signs without naming a single animal, and the one magazine article devoted to the station's hidden carvings misses all of them. The carver is unrecorded too. What the porcupine is doing there, beyond holding up an arch, nobody wrote down.
What 115 years did to it

The foundations, the basement and the deck carrying the station forecourt were built in reinforced concrete. A major renovation of the platforms, the roofs, the load-bearing columns and the decks was carried out between 2004 and 2008.
The slate went on in the same years: 4,500 square metres of CUPA 12, rectangles of 60 by 30 centimetres, five to six millimetres thick, quarried at La Campa in Spain. The listing protects black slate roofs. It does not name a quarry.

The timber came closest to going in the fire of March 1986.
The brick has needed nothing on that scale. At 115 years a bare brick wall still looks like a bare brick wall.
What was quietly lost was the small stuff. Wenck drew twelve chandeliers for the hall. Two of them are still in it, and two more are at Østerport.
What the listing actually says
The listing record sets out the values the protection carries, in two lists. They read like a specification.
Outside: the complex as a whole in red bare brick, on plinths of natural stone, under black slate roofs with roof lights and chimney stacks; the older and traditionally made windows and filling doors; the roofs over the platform halls and the lean-to roofs between them and the main buildings; the facade details — towers, projections, spires, cornices, bands, blind panels, niches, balusters, sill bands and brick arches; and the traditional handling of materials.

Inside: first the surviving parts of the plans — the main hall, the vestibule, the platform halls, the stairwells, the offices, the rooms in the main building and the side wings, the royal waiting rooms with their bathrooms. Then, in the record's own phrase, "the timber arch construction with cast-iron columns", over the platforms and in the main hall; the vaults; the benches; the wind rose; the stairs with their handrails and balustrades; the lamps and chandeliers; the signs in wrought iron; the glass paintings; the carved woodwork; the panelling; the plasterwork; the filling doors with their hinges, handles and architraves; and the detailing of the masonry.

Two things follow.
The first is that the listing names cast iron as a heritage value of this building. Not as a regrettable necessity — as protected fabric. The claim that Wenck avoided iron does not survive his own listing record.
The second is that the listing protects a plan and a set of fittings, not a look. Benches and signs are on it. The same record calls the complex a single work of art in which every detail was drawn by Wenck, "from the details on the facade right down to signs, chandeliers, kiosks, benches and floor tiles". If one man drew the benches, the benches are part of the building.

The record is warmest about the wood. "The elegantly worked timber constructions" are, it says, also an expression of high quality in the craft. That is the heritage authority praising a decision taken, over the platforms, to save 150,000 kroner.
One protected thing is worth going to find. Look up as you come in the main entrance: there is a wind rose in the middle of the ceiling. It looks like a compass and it is not one. It is connected to the weather vane on the roof, so it points wherever the wind is blowing.

And one thing is not on the list, because it is younger than the listing. On a granite column on the platform between tracks 5 and 6 there is a plate dated 2008, and with it a capsule holding a newspaper from the renovation, a set of coins, and a roll naming every craftsman who worked on the job. The listing remembered to protect the benches. The craftsmen remembered to write down who they were.
The roof is not hidden. It is the room.
The stories it carries
A hundred and fifteen years is a long time to keep one room open.

The room the public did not see. The station has a royal waiting room, built with the rest in 1911, in the southern administration wing on Bernstorffsgade. It has its own platform on the outer face of track 1, the side nearest Tivoli. It is on two floors, and its lift has barely been touched since it was installed. The public had never been inside. In 2015, a hundred and four years on, it was opened for the Copenhagen Architecture Festival.
Before the museum had a museum. The first large exhibition of what is now Danmarks Jernbanemuseum was held in a disused express-goods shed at this station, on Bernstorffsgade — models, photographs, track material, telegraph and signal apparatus. The collection moved on to Sølvgade barracks in 1928 and to Odense in 1975.
The shoe shiner. In 1940 state radio put a microphone in front of a man named Jensen who polished shoes in the station, and Ole Palsbo interviewed him about the work. Jensen was close to his fortieth year in the trade, so he had started around 1900, before this building existed. Somebody thought that was worth broadcasting to the country.
Open sandwiches for the Norwegian children. In July 1945, ten weeks after the liberation, special trains brought Norwegian children through Sweden to Denmark to be fed up after the war. They came through this station. Waiting for them at Hovedbanegården were open sandwiches, packed lunches and milk. The scheme had been planned for two thousand children and ended up moving about seven and a half thousand.
We meet under the clock. In 1958 Claus Hermansen made a documentary for DR about life in the station and called it simply “We meet under the clock”. It went out on 2 May. The clock everybody meant was not Wenck's. On 15 December 2010 Banedanmark took down the three big black-and-white clocks in the hall and put up smaller grey ones; the old ones were up to forty years old and about 1.2 metres across. They were sold on lauritz.com the following month. Denmark's best-known meeting place turned out to be a fitting no older than 1970, and it went to auction.

The coin-operated railway. Since 1967 there has been a model railway in the station. The first was three metres by six, a U on three sides, built by two theatre painters, Melchior Hansen and Juel Berg: a Danish town with a harbour at one end, a station and open country in the middle, mountains at the other. Four trains ran on their own loops. You put in a coin and the trains ran, and the coins went to charity. The coin boxes were forced and the glass broken again and again. In 1994 Danmarks Jernbanemuseum had a second layout built by the Kolding model railway club; the first went to Odense, was restored, and has been on show there since 1999.
The night the roof burned. On 21 March 1986 fire took hold in the platform halls and in the electrical installation over the S-train tracks. Three or four of the heavy timber arches came down onto platform and rails. The damage was put at about 25 million kroner. The burnt arch bays were rebuilt quickly. Timber burns: that is the one real objection to it, the objection de Bruyn named in 1913 and gave little weight to, and in 1986 the station met it.
Who the hall belongs to at night. In 1987 DR let a young woman, Christine Skolmen, make a documentary about the young people who hung around Hovedbanegården. She worked in the nut bar, and she had met them because they stole nuts from her. A station is a warm public room that stays open, and that has been part of what this one is for as long as there has been one. The warming house of 1911–12 and the film of 1987 are the same fact seventy-five years apart.

A hundred years, four days. DSB kept the centenary from 1 to 4 December 2011 — station inspectors giving guided tours, staff in the dress of a hundred years before, a fashion show of DSB uniforms old and new, the railway orchestra, a gospel choir. About 90,000 people used the station on an ordinary weekday then. In 2024 it counted 29,207,935 passengers.

What has changed
The station has been altered in almost every decade since it opened. Here is the record, then the parts worth slowing down for.
- 1911 — opened. Ceremony 30 November, in traffic from 1 December.
- 1918–20 — the timber arches of Herholdt's old station bought for Aarhus in July 1918 and re-erected as the Stadionhal, in use from February 1920.
- 1922–25 — the wing along Bernstorffsgade extended southward as an office block for the State Railways.
- 1934 — the arrival hall and the departure hall joined by two wide passages. Until then they were separate rooms.
- 1935 — a cinema, Den vide Verden — the wide world — opened inside the station, in waiting rooms the new S-trains had made redundant.
- 1954 — the first escalators, at the descent to the S-train platforms.
- 1971 — the cinema closed.
- 1971 and 1977 — new stairs from Tietgensbroen down to the platforms.
- 1978–94 — the long rebuild, by Dissing+Weitling. The baggage island between the two halls was demolished, lifts and escalators were put in to the platforms, and the last of the original wooden kiosks went.
- 1983 — listed (fredet).
- 21 March 1986 — fire in the platform halls and in the electrical installations over the S-train tracks. Damaged arches were rebuilt at speed. The damage came to 25 million kroner.
- 1994 — about forty shops gathered under one name in four new black buildings by PLH Arkitekter, standing in the hall.
- 2004–08 — platform roofs and the concrete structures renovated; the platforms at tracks 3 to 6 lowered, and platforms lengthened. Gottlieb Paludan Architects. The new hall lighting won the Danish lighting prize in 2009.
- April 2026 — modernisation of the hall began. DSB has set aside 420 million kroner. The hall is being split into a travel hall and a retail hall. Due 2028.
The wing he was refused, then built anyway
Wenck's rejected schemes of 1898 to 1902 were not only for a station. They proposed a station and an administration building for the State Railways. The Rigsdag called the schemes too extravagant, and what survived was the station on its own.
The offices got built in the end. The wing running down Bernstorffsgade was extended southward as an administration block, and it carries far less ornament than the rest of the station — the mark of a building meant to be worked in rather than arrived at.
The sources disagree on the date, and the study will not pretend otherwise. The national listing dates the extension 1922–25 and gives it to Wenck alone. Lex dates it 1923. A railway history dates it 1919–21 and credits Wenck together with K. T. Seest, who took over as the railways' chief architect when Wenck left the post in 1921. Either way it is the last piece of the station Wenck had a hand in, built about a quarter of a century after he first drew it.
The same wing holds the royal waiting rooms, reached by their own entrance in the tower. Those are of 1911, not of the extension, and their original fittings survive.
The cinema in the waiting room
Commerce did not creep into this station. It was invited in, by the railway's own general director, in 1935.
Peter Knutzen had seen a cinema inside a Paris station and wanted one here. Twenty-minute S-train intervals had left the local-traffic waiting rooms with nothing to do, so the rooms became a cinema with 303 seats, fitted out by K. T. Seest — Wenck's successor again. Den vide Verden opened on 21 February 1935. Sixteen hundred people came on the first day.
It showed travel films, nature films, newsreels and cartoons, for 70 øre, taken through a counting apparatus at the door. Some days it took more than 2,700 visitors. Over thirty-six years it drew something like fifteen million.
Television finished it. By 1971 the seats were 15 per cent full, and DSB closed it. The last film ran on 31 October 1971. The room became a supermarket, and later a burger bar.
That is worth holding onto when the 2026 works are described as taking the shops out of a railway hall. The first thing to take floor space in this hall for something other than trains was the railway's own idea.
The war
A photograph in this study is captioned as showing the station after shooting during the war. Here is what the sources carry.
Copenhagen went on general strike at the end of June 1944. On Monday 26 June there was heavy shooting from the station itself, from Enghave Plads, and from roofs around them. On Friday 30 June at eight in the morning a company of German soldiers was drawn up outside the Hotel Astoria, at the station's own door, ready to take the building if it came to that. At ten o'clock all train traffic, S-trains included, was stopped. At the liberation there was fighting again on the Reventlowsgade side of the station and down Istedgade, on 4 and 5 May 1945.
Shot from, shut down, and very nearly seized, inside eleven months.
What we cannot tell you is what had to be repaired afterwards. The listing record does not mention the occupation. Neither do the standard railway histories.
Four black buildings, and then two
The 1978–94 rebuild cleared the hall out: baggage island down, the last of the original wooden kiosks gone.
Then, in 1994, about forty shops were gathered into four new black buildings set inside the hall and given a single name. PLH Arkitekter drew them. DSB owns them; DEAS runs them. (The shopping centre's own account dates its opening to 1992 and counts about twenty-five shops, so take the numbers loosely — the buildings are the fixed point.)
Those four pavilions are what is being halved now.

2026: who, what, and the row
The client is DSB. The lead consultant is Artelia, with AFRY Architects Denmark and Drachmann Arkitekter; the design concept came out of a team including Gottlieb Paludan Architects, the practice that did the 2004–08 renovation. The main contractor is Aarsleff Rail. The outdoor site was set up from 23 March 2026 and the indoor site from 10 April. The build runs about thirty months, to September 2028.
What actually changes, in the hall itself:
- Four retail pavilions become two. The two nearest the platform stairs come out.
- That end of the hall becomes the travel hall — lifts, information, waiting, and room to stand.
- Around 6,000 m² of the hall is in scope, including roughly 2,100 m² of the brick floor, which is being replaced.
- Lifts are moved and renewed. Lighting and signage are redone. Shopfronts get one common face instead of many.
- The two new pavilions are wood, after the original stained-pine kiosks, set on the hall's 6.4-metre module and kept low against the granite columns.
DSB's stated aim is to bring the station's historic architecture closer to its original expression.
And there was friction around the works — from DSB's side about the shops and about the heritage authority, from commentators about the state of the hall. The statements this study gathered on that row cannot yet be traced to a publication, so none of them is quoted here. They are listed as open at the end.
Notice what nobody is arguing. Nobody proposes a hall without shops. The question is which half of the room they get.
Wenck built a hall 138 metres long, in two aisles, with arrival and departure kept apart. In 1934 the two were cut through into one room. In 1994 four black buildings were put back inside it. In 2026 two of those come out again. The argument has run for ninety years, and it has always been the same argument: how much of one room this is allowed to be.

Protection and what it means
Listed in 1983. The register is the Danish national listing register (Fredede og Bevaringsværdige Bygninger), maintained by Slots- og Kulturstyrelsen; the case number is 3100426.
The listing covers the vestibule, the main hall, the six platform halls, the two wings facing Bernstorffsgade (1904–11, Wenck) and the 1922–25 extension of the south wing. It does not cover the newer extension at the Tietgensgade corner.
In Danish practice fredet is the stronger of the two protections. It reaches inside as well as outside — which is why the vestibule, the main hall and the platform halls are each named — and changes to the protected parts need permission from the state, not only the municipality. That is the frame the 2026 works sit inside.
Going to see it
Yes — freely, at any hour. It is a working railway station and you do not need a ticket to stand in the main hall.
Checked 18 August 2026.
Look up, in the middle. The timber arches are the reason to come. From the centre you can see the whole 138 metres.
Then go down to a platform and look back at the underside of the concourse. You are standing under the bridge you were just standing on. And look at the ends of the platform halls: the half-round glazed gables are the shape Herholdt's hall used once, here six times over.
Then look at the facade. The sandstone figures are high up and easy to walk past for a lifetime.
One warning: the hall is being rebuilt through to 2028, and parts will be hoarded off. That is not a reason to stay away — a building under repair shows you things a finished one hides.

What it teaches
The cheap choice can be the one that lasts. Timber was picked here because it saved 150,000 kroner and half the build time. A hundred and fifteen years later it is the thing people admire. Economy and quality are not opposites, and the cheapest option is not automatically the worst one — it depends entirely on what you are being cheap with.
Bare brick is a finish, and it ages better than a coating. These walls are bare brick — no render, no paint. At 115 years they look like brick. If you own a brick house and are offered render or cladding over its face, that is the real choice: a surface that ages, or a surface that must be maintained to keep looking new.
Sink what you do not want to look at. The railway is below street level so the city can walk over it. On a house the same instinct applies to parking, bins and plant. The question is not where they fit but what you are willing to see.
A room is worth defending. The 2026 works exist because a great hall gradually filled with retail. Domestically this is what happens when every wall gains a cupboard. Decide which room in your house is the room, and protect it from the useful things that want to eat it.
Use an old material in a modern way. That is Ingeniøren's phrase, not ours, and it is the best description of good building.
Sources and method
The article names sources only where the source is part of the story. Everything else is listed here, mapped to the claim it carries, so anything can be checked without the prose stopping to explain itself. Quotations from the Danish sources, and from de Bruyn's German, are translated here.
Contemporary, and they carry the argument:
- Ingeniøren nr. 20, 20 May 1911, p. 189 — "Perronhallen paa den nye Personbanegaard". Carries: the timber cost 150,000 kr less than iron and 100,000 less than reinforced concrete; other constructions would have taken twice the time; "an old material used in a modern way"; these are permanent structures, not interim works; the contractor I. W. Unmack; the lattice arches of bent 1″×4″ boards; about 12,500 m².
- Ingeniøren nr. 100, 14 December 1912, p. 770. Carries: the main hall roof is a timber construction like the one in the now-closed station — and nothing more, which is the point.
- de Bruyn, "Der neue Kopenhagener Hauptpersonenbahnhof", Zeitschrift für Bauwesen 63 (1913), Sp. 377–386. Carries: the German reviewer on timber driven out by iron, and the daring to bring it back.
- Victor von Röll, Enzyklopädie des Eisenbahnwesens, the article on station halls [volume and page not yet traced]. Carries: the board and crossed-timber arch family with the de l'Orme and Emy variants; the Munich hall of 1848; the note that Herholdt's hall was of similar construction; the description of Wenck's roof as a timber lattice of six 25-metre spans on iron stanchions; and the Stephansdach attribution. If the reference cannot be recovered, this entry will say so.
- DSB, "Jernbanedamens hemmeligheder", 24 June 2008, quoting chief inspector
Per Axel Buur. Carries: Wenck's two stated reasons for the carved creatures — that fable animals are always travelling, and that anything heavy should look as though carried by "kraftkarle", animal or human. Second hand, and ninety-seven years after the building opened; it is the only explanation on record.
Archive drawings: Danmarks Jernbanemuseum / Jernbanekilder, and two public-domain Rigsarkivet sheets. Rights and the basis for publication are set out in the study's rights record.
Aerial photographs: Skråfoto, Klimadatastyrelsen — open public data, used with attribution and processed by us for light and materials. Archive photographs: Københavns Museum and Aarhus Stadsarkiv; the two photographs by Georg Nikolaj Knub have been in the public domain since 1 January 2025. Per-frame holder and licence are not recorded. 62 frames are flagged as records by classification, not by a named archive entry. Eleven frames are of third-party origin and their rights are open. Our own photographs were taken in August 2026.
Reference works consulted and checked against the above: Trap Danmark, danskejernbaner.dk, hovedstadshistorie.dk, danmarksarkiv.dk, the FBB listing record 3100426, Københavns Kommuneplan 2024, DSB.
What we do not publish
This station's own building file is not publicly served, and we have not tried to get around that.
Every drawing reproduced here comes from a public archive — Rigsarkivet and Danmarks Jernbanemuseum — which make these sheets available to anyone who asks. Where an archive does not publish a drawing of a working transport building, we treat that as the archive's decision and leave it there.
The reason is not stated anywhere we could find, and we are not going to guess at it in print. A station is a piece of national infrastructure with a hundred thousand people in it every day, and there are obvious reasons an archive might be careful about what it puts online. That is enough for us to be careful too.
So: this archive publishes what public archives publish. No Heritage Study depends on material obtained any other way, and none ever will. If that means a study has fewer drawings than we would like, it has fewer drawings.
Still open
- Why the main hall is timber. Not answered by the Danish engineering press 1905–1920. The study says so rather than repeating the "inspired by Herholdt" line as if it were a reason.
- Whether the 1908 bird's-eye shows an approved scheme. If it does, the platform halls were added after 1908.
- Who signed the 1865 Herholdt sheet. Not Herholdt. Unresolved, so no name is printed.
- The 2026 statements. Three quotations that reached the study in 2026 have no publication, date or link behind them. They stay out of the text until a source is found.
THE HALL FROM INSIDE
The roof is not hidden. It is the room.
The drawing shows the hall from inside, before it was finished. The arches are not cased in. They rise from masonry piers, meet at the ridge, and straight diagonal braces fill the panels between them.
The timber stands open, so the structure is what you see when you walk in. Nobody wrote down why the main hall was built this way. What can be said is what Trap Danmark says: this is how engineers came to shape architecture from the middle of the nineteenth century — by leaving the structure visible.
The drawings
This station's own building file is not publicly available. The drawings here come from public archives — Rigsarkivet and Danmarks Jernbanemuseum — and we publish only what those archives put out themselves.
Drawing type
Showing 20 of 20
THE GREAT ARCH AT THE END OF THE HALL ARBOE'S PROPOSAL, 1892 TOWARD VESTERBRO PROPOSAL TOWARD BERNSTORFFSGADE THE ONE WITH THE WINDOWS IN PAIRS THE ONE WITH A SINGLE ROUND ARCH THE ONE WITH THE STEEP GABLE THE ONE WITH TWO TOWERS PROPOSAL TOWARD REVENTLOWSGADE PROPOSAL, REVENTLOWSGADE PROPOSAL WITH THE WINDOWS FINISHED THE SAME IDEA, A DIFFERENT ROOF A FRONT WITH GLASS SHEDS BEHIND THE TRACKS LIE BELOW THE STREET GROUND PLAN, 1911 PLAN B, OCTOBER 1904 HOW IT LOOKED IN 1908 THE PLATFORMS AND TIETGENSBROEN THE HALL FROM INSIDE WENCK'S CENTRAL STATION, SIGNED
Archive pictures
The station from 1905 to today: first a hole in the ground, then a building site, then a station in use. Every picture here is published as an illustration and not as a source, and each one says so beneath it.
Period
Showing 69 of 69
1905 · The whole station as a plaster model, six years before it opened. Parliament had said yes in March 1904, after years of no — and the yes was really about a tunnel. The old station stood in the tunnel's path, so a new one had to be built first.Published as an illustration only. 1905 · The centre of the model, close up: a spire and a rose window. Wenck had drawn scheme after scheme for this site since 1892, and parliament turned them down as unnecessarily lavish. This front was not built either — in 1905 he was still having doors turned down.Published as an illustration only. 1906 · A gang stands around heavy pipe sections in a deep trench, holding still for the photographer. The job began down here in the ground — digging started in 1905, six years before the station opened. Where this is, the archive does not record.Published as an illustration only. 1906 · The ground is cleared and the earth pushed up into banks. The site is roughly where the first station of 1847 once stood — the railway was on its way back to where it began. And just across Vesterbrogade the old station ran on: this was building beside a live station, not inside one.Published as an illustration only. 1907 · The digging has come right up to the houses, and the ground in front of them is gone. The depth is the plan itself: the tracks are to lie below the streets, so the whole site is being cut down to their level.Published as an illustration only. 1907 · The first walls are up, and round-timber scaffold stands against them across the whole width of the view. After two years in the ground, the building itself has begun. It starts at the bottom of the cut — the city behind stands higher than the walls.Published as an illustration only. 1907 · A long timber stair climbs the bank and shows how deep the digging went. Among the stacks at right lie curved pieces — by all appearances forms for arches not yet turned. Everything above ground is still to come.Published as an illustration only. 1907 · Masons at work on the lowest walls, brick by brick. The whole station will stand like this: bare red brick, no render and no paint, the brick itself the finished surface. And note the scaffold — round timber, not iron.Published as an illustration only. 1907 · The site seen across its width, brick stacked where it will be needed. The width is the point. The old station had four tracks under one roof; this one is being built for twelve.Published as an illustration only. 1907 · Horses and carts bring brick and timber in, and the long sheds holding the stores are themselves knocked together from boards. Behind them the walls are still growing — the scaffolds stand against unfinished brick.Published as an illustration only. 1907 · The works road runs down in the cut ground; the houses stay up at street level. That split is not a stage of the work — it is the finished arrangement. Trains below, the city above.Published as an illustration only. 1907 · Foundations at left, the bank at right untouched, the ground between them set out in a regular grid. Under the brick this station is modern: foundation, basement and deck are reinforced concrete. The building everyone will call a timber station stands on concrete.Published as an illustration only. 1907 · Brick piers divide the long walls into equal bays, a small scaffold against each. The substructure is taking shape — the level below the station people will see. Everything that is to stand above the trains needs something down here to stand on.Published as an illustration only. 1908 · A row of round arches runs through the substructure, seen from above. Here the station's big idea becomes visible: the tracks stay down in the cut, and the building lies over them like a bridge. The hall people will wait in is that bridge.Published as an illustration only. 1908 · The old station of 1864, seen across its own forecourt and still at work. The planned tunnel under the city ran straight through this building, so the order was fixed: build the new station first, move the traffic, then dig. Behind the wide arch stood a train hall carried on timber arches — a roof this story comes back to.Published as an illustration only. 1908 · The new walls behind their scaffold of round poles, seen from outside the site. One thing made the work easier: the old station stood on its own ground, so this was building next to a live station, not inside one. The rails in front carried the site's materials, not trains.Published as an illustration only. 1908 · Track already laid, and pipe stacked in long rows beside it. Before a station is a building, it is engineering: level ground, drains and rails. Where on the site this was taken is not recorded, so the frame stands for the work, not for a place.Published as an illustration only. 1908 · Stone piers stand free on the new deck; the braced timber frame at right is the hoist that lifted them up. The deck is the whole idea of this station: the tracks were sunk below the street, and the building was laid over them like a bridge. Everything people call the station would stand up here.Published as an illustration only. 1908 · The same deck, further along: the arched brick wall is the outer edge, and the stone piers will carry the building inside it. The spread of the work shows how big the change was. Herholdt's station had four tracks under one roof; this one was built for twelve, with six passenger platforms.Published as an illustration only. 1908 · Braced timber towers stand around the rising masonry. They are falsework — temporary timber that holds the work up until brick and stone can carry themselves. On this site timber did every job, scaffold to hoist to falsework, and later it would be the roof too.Published as an illustration only. 1908 · One man alone on the walkable deck, and the tower of the City Hall above the trees behind him. The City Hall was finished in 1905; its architect, Martin Nyrop, and Wenck had been students together at the Academy. The two gave central Copenhagen its two biggest rooms, in the same red brick, six minutes' walk apart.Published as an illustration only. 1908 · The cutting on its way down to track level, with the city standing at its very edge. The trees are bare: late winter or early spring. Behind the hoarding — the plank fence round the works — the city went on with its day.Published as an illustration only. 1908 · The contractor's own steam locomotive, under steam on the works track. This is how a site this size was fed: an engine on light rails did the heavy hauling, and horses took the loads the last stretch. Brick and timber wait in stacks along the track.Published as an illustration only. 1909 · The building stands full length with its roof frame still open; only the two corner turrets have their slate. In front the ground is dug deep, and the street is held back by a sheet-pile wall — planks driven down into the earth. Building up and digging down ran together, because the trains were to come in right below the front door.Published as an illustration only. 1909 · On the right, one of the hall arches: timber, with lattice panels between the ribs. Cut stone lies ready on the deck in front. There is no heavy beam in the arch — it is built up from small boards, bent and fastened until the bundle holds the curve, a big span made of small wood.Published as an illustration only. 1909 · Seen from the site road: slate on the long wing, the frame behind the ridge still open, sawn boards stacked high in front. Nearly everything in the frame is what the building is made of. Wenck held to genuine Danish materials — on this station that means brick, stone, slate, timber, iron and copper.Published as an illustration only. 1909 · The arcade above is finished, slate and all. Everything below it is temporary: a forest of timber holds the building up until the permanent stone columns are set — two already stand with their capitals on. This stretch of the station would rest on those columns, with the tracks running below.Published as an illustration only. 1909 · Rafters going up on the right, slate already down on the left, and the site's wooden wagons on their narrow track in front. The main building is closing in — but over the platforms nothing was settled yet. Wenck had wanted one great roof across them all; the Rigsdag had struck it out, and for a while it looked as if there would be no platform roofs at all.Published as an illustration only. 1909 · Most of the site still lies open — gone to grass, with sand heaps and work wagons. Of the station only the scaffolded corner at the far left shows. All that ground was for tracks: twelve of them, where the old station had four.Published as an illustration only. 1909 · The same ground, closer in. The great arch of the gable is still wrapped in scaffolding, and behind the slated wing the new rafters stand bare. The brick went up first; the roofs are following.Published as an illustration only. 1909 · The hall seen from the floor, and the roof is wood the whole way: arches built up in layers, lattice filling the bays between. The lone figure below gives the scale. The great stations of the day were roofed in iron — this one was not.Published as an illustration only. 1910 · A road of cart ruts between the finished building and Tivoli's fence. Squared granite lies heaped along the verge, waiting. The station was finished long before its streets were.Published as an illustration only. 1910 · Next door, the new post building rises out of the goods yard, its round-timber scaffold a storey above the brickwork and no roof on yet. The station was not being built alone. Under the platforms, the post got a tunnel of its own across to this very building.Published as an illustration only. 1910 · On the left the city is finished — paving, railings, trees. On the right, men are still digging the cutting the trains will run in. That is the whole idea of the station: the tracks sit below street level, and the building lies across them like a bridge.Published as an illustration only. 1910 · Granite on one side of the road, sawn timber on the other. The stone's place is known: the station stands on a granite plinth, and the entrance arcade is carried on six granite columns. The timber went everywhere — into scaffolds, into falsework, and in the end into the roofs themselves.Published as an illustration only. 1910 · Across Vesterbrogade the old station is still at its work: a crowd fills the forecourt for Bjørnson's funeral procession, the hearse below the clock tower. It had a year left. The tunnel's line ran straight through it — the new station was being built so this one could close.Published as an illustration only. 1911 · The front stands finished, and people already use the square as a street. It took thirteen years of refusals to get this far — scheme after scheme sent back as too lavish. What was built is the plain version parliament would pay for.Published as an illustration only. 1911 · Inside, the joinery is going up: a wall of dark wood with leaded glass under the finished arches. None of it was bought ready-made. Wenck drew every detail of the building himself, down to the signs, the chandeliers, the benches and the floor tiles.Published as an illustration only. 1911 · The front is finished while the ground before it is still a building site. A deck runs on piers across the cutting, ready to carry the street over the tracks. Under the brick this building is modern: foundations, basement and deck are all reinforced concrete.Published as an illustration only. 1911 · The hall is ready and still empty — chandeliers hung, timber arches overhead. Out over the platforms, the choice of wood was explained in print while the arches went up: an old material used in a modern way, 150,000 kroner cheaper than iron and half the building time. For this roof, nobody ever wrote the reason down.Published as an illustration only. 1911 · The entrance pavilion, its square caught just before the paving: one run of kerb set, a stepladder on the bare ground. This is the door a whole country would use. The line Wenck is always quoted for belongs here — the building should be fitting for Denmark, so that a departing Dane's last impression and an arriving stranger's first were the same: something Danish.Published as an illustration only. 1911 · The service wing along the road, the tall chimney behind it. This ground had carried a station before: the wooden one of 1847 stood close by, and sixty-four years on the railway had come back to where it started. All that was left now was to open.Published as an illustration only. 1911 · A crowd in coats and hats around a draped rostrum, under the new arches. Crown Prince Christian said the building would stand as a monument to Danish building art, and within six months he was king. The next morning the first train left.Published as an illustration only. 1911 · Piles of cut timber on the site embankment, and behind them the City Hall tower. Wenck and Nyrop were classmates at the Academy. Their two buildings, the two biggest rooms in central Copenhagen, stand six minutes apart in the same red brick.Published as an illustration only. 1911 · From the air the tracks lie open to the sky, with no halls over them. The platform halls were nearly not built at all. Parliament struck out the one great roof Wenck wanted, and money for any roofs came only in the middle of the build.Published as an illustration only. 1912 · People cross the paved forecourt as if the station had always stood here. The old station closed the day this one took the traffic. That winter its empty hall was used as a warming house for the homeless.Published as an illustration only. 1914 · A row of glazed half-circle gables closes the platform halls. The shape is borrowed: Herholdt's old hall ended in the same half-round, and here it is repeated six times.Published as an illustration only. 1915 · Steam under the glass, passengers waiting on the platform. The old station had four tracks under one roof. This one has twelve, on six platforms.Published as an illustration only. 1916 · The arches over the platform are wood: boards an inch thick and four inches wide, bent and fastened until they carry a roof. An engineering magazine printed the reason while the arches were going up. Timber was 150,000 kroner cheaper than iron, and twice as fast.Published as an illustration only. 1918 · The same timber spans the great hall, high over a kiosk hung with postcards. Here nobody wrote the reason down. The record says only that the roof was made like the old station's, and stops there.Published as an illustration only. 1919 · Tram rails run down Bernstorffsgade, along the station's flank. Walk north and the street changes name to Hammerichsgade, after the engineer who first argued for putting the missing rail link under the city. He died in 1915, two years before the first trains ran through.Published as an illustration only. 1920 · Seen from above, the forecourt runs straight over the track cutting. That is the thing to understand about this station: it is a bridge. The tracks are sunk below the street, and the hall lies across all of them.Published as an illustration only. 1936 · A traveller and his luggage under the arched glass. Wenck died this year, after around 150 station buildings. If you have taken a train in Denmark, you have stood in something he drew.Published as an illustration only. 1944 · A crowd, bicycles and an open military car on the forecourt. In the last days of June, Copenhagen went on general strike, and there was shooting from the station itself. For the better part of a week the building did not do the one thing it is for: no trains ran.Published as an illustration only. 1951 · Between two dark columns, the Liberty Memorial down the street. It stood in the way of the railway dig, so it was taken down and re-erected 5.3 metres east, as a copy. The copy was cut by Jens Lund, the same man who carved the sandstone figures on this station's facade.Published as an illustration only. 1956 · Scooters, bicycles and cars fill the forecourt, with the post-war office blocks behind. The station has been altered in almost every decade since it opened. In 1954 the first escalators went in, at the descent to the S-trains.Published as an illustration only. 1964 · A family with suitcases walks the platform under the timber arches. The halls were now past fifty and simply the roof over daily life. Almost no one looks up.Published as an illustration only. 1969 · A man polishes a customer's shoes in a carved timber kiosk. The trade here was older than the building. In 1940 state radio interviewed a shoe shiner at the station who had been at the work since around 1900 — before this building existed.Published as an illustration only. 1980 · A red train stands before three glazed gables of the platform halls. Behind each gable runs a hall 102 metres long, each timber arch standing 12 metres to the crown. The half-round is the shape that closed Herholdt's old hall once — here it runs six times over.Published as an illustration only. 1986 · A locomotive waits in the shadow of Tietgensbroen. The bridge came before the railway: Wenck drew it, and it opened in 1907, four years to the day before the trains. Two years before this picture, the bridge was jacked up 255 millimetres at one end in a single night, to make room for the new overhead wires.Published as an illustration only. 1987 · Snow on the tracks, crowds on the platform, the halls standing whole. A year earlier, fire took hold in the platform halls and three or four of the timber arches came down onto platform and rails. The lost bays were rebuilt at speed.Published as an illustration only. 1992 · The same kiosk, twenty-three years on, and shoes are still being shined. Beside the carved Skopudser sign hangs a newer one: SHO SHINE, for travellers with no Danish. A trade older than the building was still at work in the 1990s.Published as an illustration only. 2001 · Straight up into the main hall roof, past one of the chandeliers — Wenck drew twelve for this hall, and two still hang in it. The roof is the part nobody explained. The engineering press wrote in 1912 only that it was timber like the old station's hall; why, nobody ever wrote down.Published as an illustration only. 2002 · A Swedish express stands under the green copper clock tower. The station has been altered in almost every decade since it opened. From the platform it still reads as itself: bare red brick, black roof, copper gone green.Published as an illustration only. 2003 · A fan of tracks under open sky, the arched halls far off at right. This width is what the old station could not give. Herholdt's had four tracks and one way in; Wenck's has twelve through tracks and six platforms.Published as an illustration only. 2004 · The half-round gables from above, red timber and white glazing bars. The red is Wenck's signature — Swedish red, his mark on station woodwork across Denmark. The year this was taken, a four-year renovation of the platform roofs began.Published as an illustration only. 2005 · People cross the hall in silhouette against the glowing windows. The listing calls the station a gesamtkunstwerk — one work of art, drawn by one hand, down to the signs, the benches and the tiles underfoot. The crowd changes every minute; the room does not.Published as an illustration only. 2006 · Escalators stand at the platform under the red arches. They came late and in stages — the first in 1954, at the descent to the S-trains, more with the long rebuild of 1978 to 1994. Below, the station renews itself again and again; above, the arches do what they have always done.Published as an illustration only. 2007 · Snow between the tracks, and the red arches overhead closing on a hundred years old. The pieces of wood up there are the size of floorboards, bent and fastened into arches. Timber was chosen in 1911 to save money and time — and it is still doing the job.Published as an illustration only.
The building from above
From above you can see what the street does not show: how long the hall is, and how the tracks run in beneath it.
Six halls, not one. From directly overhead the station is a row of six slate vaults with glazing along every ridge, the great hall set across their head. What carries them is out of sight underneath. The north entrance on Banegårdspladsen, with the great hall and the six platform halls lined up behind it. Why the station stands here: wedged between Tivoli and the nineteenth-century blocks of Vesterbro, on ground the city only released once the ramparts had gone. One hall meets six. The great hall's twin ridges run east across the top of the tracks, and where they stop the six platform vaults take over. The west end on Reventlowsgade. Behind the twin gable, the great hall's whole span is carried on timber — the old way to build in 1911. The station holds a single block between Vesterbro and Tivoli, its six vaults running the full length of it. One arch, repeated six times. The glazed ends on Tietgensgade restate the single timber arch of the 1864 station that stood on this ground before. Daylight by the length of the roof: two continuous rooflight bands over the concourse, and glazing along every vault beyond. The six ends read as one motif repeated: the same arch, the same red band, six times over. The line runs through, not to: sunk in a cutting south of the station and sunk again north of it, with the concourse bridging over between. The plan in one look: six parallel halls over the tracks, the concourse across their head, and a screen of brick wings holding the street line on Bernstorffsgade. Heinrich Wenck's Copenhagen Central Station, opened 1911: red brick, sandstone and slate over a station whose halls he roofed in timber when every other builder of that size used steel. The roofs behind this front are timber. By 1911 a station this size was spanned in steel everywhere else. Wood was chosen because it was cheaper and quicker — and it is still standing. Six halls, one shape. The station of 1864 on this site had a single timber arch. Wenck repeated it six times, and the six roofs end in glazed half-circles at Tietgensgade. The tracks lie below the street. The cutting in the foreground shows how far down. The concourse bridges them, so the city walks across the railway instead of around it. The station hall is being modernised. The work began in April 2026 and runs to 2028. Under the slate and the glass the structure is timber, as it has been since 1911. The railway arrives buried. North of the station the tracks lie sunk between retaining walls and run in under the street, so the city crosses the line rather than stopping at it.
The gallery
Photographed in August 2026, while the building was under repair. The work is visible in some of the frames.
Where
What you are looking at
What it is made of
Showing 32 of 370
Outside
The square in front of the entrance is a deck. Under it the trains run, carried on reinforced concrete — foundation, basement and all. Everyone crossing this picture is walking over a railway.
Hoardings run along the foot of the Bernstorffsgade front. DSB set up the outdoor site in March 2026, and the rebuilding inside runs to 2028. A building under repair shows you things a finished one hides.
Red brick, laid bare. No render and no paint — the brick itself is the finished surface. At 115 years it still looks like brick, and that is the whole argument for the material.
Five horizontal bands of natural stone run across the facades, and the wall ends in a main cornice above. Where the building meets the ground it turns to granite. Stone at the bottom, stone in the lines, brick for everything between.
Most of these windows are the original ones, in many types, white-painted and divided by glazing bars. The listing protects them for their age and their making, not for their look. White against red, over that many openings, is what breaks the mass up.
Glass sits in the slate roofs here, letting daylight down into the rooms below. Roof lights are named in the listing along with the chimney stacks and the black slate. The protection is written as a list of parts, not as a look.
Two gables, side by side. Behind them the great hall was built as two separate rooms — one for arrivals, one for departures — and the way between them ran underground. They were cut through into a single room in 1934.
Under the entrance runs a half-open arcade on six granite columns. Each column carries four carved faces, twenty-four in all, and no two are alike. Jens Lund cut them, and the difference between them was the point.
This front is not the one Wenck first drew. In 1892 he turned two glazed gables toward the city; by 1896 the glass had turned away and the square got a wall. He was still having entrances refused in 1905, a year after parliament had voted the money.
A long wall of brick, and nobody wrote down where the brick came from. The listing record describes this wall, and so do the reference works. Not one of them names a brickworks — an odd gap in a building whose listing names its floor tiles.
Chimneys still stand along the ridge, and the conical tower turns the corner. The listing names towers, spires and chimney stacks one by one among what is protected outside. The site fencing beside them is from 2026.
Every opening along this stretch is arched, and the arches are turned in brick. The wall makes its own openings out of its own material, with no stone lintel over them. Stone is kept for the bands and for the ground.
Pale stone dressings, red brick, black slate, a spire on the round tower. Wenck's habit was put in one phrase: the preferred use of genuine Danish materials. On this building that comes to six — brick, stone, slate, timber, iron and copper.
All of this replaced a station with four tracks under one roof. Wenck's has twelve through platform tracks and six passenger platforms, and the building sits over them. The length of the frontage is the plainest measure of the swap.
It went up beside a working station, not inside one. Herholdt's station of 1864 stood on the far side of Vesterbrogade and ran until the day the traffic moved, 1 December 1911. A new station was the only way to get a tunnel under the city.
What stands here is the version parliament agreed to pay for. From 1898 to 1902 Wenck put up scheme after scheme for a station with the railway offices on top, and they went down as unnecessarily lavish. Find it magnificent by all means — you are looking at the cut-down one.
Bicycles fill the forecourt, and they were planned for. One of Wenck's sheets from 1905 letters the openings along the front: a cycle depot, and a counter for handing back bicycles and prams. He was drawing the small things while parliament was still refusing his doors.
Look at how many people cross this space in one photograph. The station counted 29,207,935 passengers in 2024. A hundred thousand a day walk under a roof made of wood, and almost none of them look up.
The steep roof over the tower is slate, and it is younger than it looks. Between 2004 and 2008 about 4,500 square metres of new slate went on — rectangles of 60 by 30 centimetres, five to six millimetres thick, quarried in Spain. The listing protects black slate roofs, but it names no quarry.
Up here the materials change one last time. Brick to the top of the tower, slate on the roof planes, copper for the spire — each one where it does its job best. That is the order the whole building follows, read from the ground up.
Copper on the spire, slate on the slopes either side. The building uses two roof coverings and does not mix them: metal for the steep pointed shapes, stone for the broad planes. The rule holds right across the roofscape.
Sandstone bands run across the tower and carry straight on into the walls beside it. Five of them cross the whole building. The tower is not something added on — it is the same wall, turned a corner and taken higher.
White timber windows in a round brick tower. Most of the station's original windows are still in place, and the listing protects them by name. White against red, repeated over that many openings, is what stops a wall this size reading as one mass.
That weather vane is connected to something indoors. In the ceiling of the main entrance there is a wind rose, and it looks like a compass. It is not one — it follows the vane, so it shows you which way the wind is blowing.
Under the spire the arched openings are filled with slats, not glass. There is no room behind them, only air. The listing names spires among the facade details it protects, so this shape stays.
A tower over the middle, with solid brick gables to either side. Wenck's first idea for this site, in 1892, was the opposite: two great glazed gables facing the city. By 1896 the glass had turned away from the street, and what the city gets is a wall.
Bare brick, and still bare after 115 years. No render and no paint. The brick itself is the finished surface, and while the roofs have burned and been renewed, the wall has needed nothing on that scale.
Granite at the bottom, brick above. The building changes material where it meets the ground, and it does not hide the join. That is the rule right round the station: stone in the plinth, brick in the wall, sandstone only where something is carved.
A clock on the tower, over the centre of the front. Denmark's best-known meeting place is under the clock — but not under this one. The clock people meant hung inside the hall, dated from about 1970, and was sold at auction after it came down in 2010.
From below you can see that the brickwork is patterned, not just stacked. Courses step forward and back to make bands and small arches, and all of it is the same brick as the wall. Stone appears only in the horizontal courses that cross it.
One tall spire, then smaller ones repeating away along the roofline. That is how a front this long is broken into parts you can take in. Wenck built around 150 stations. Repeating a good profile was the method.
Slate laid on a cone. Flat stones on a curved surface, and every course has to close a little tighter than the one below. The station's slate was renewed between 2004 and 2008: 4,500 square metres of it, quarried in Spain.
Do you own a house with a history?
We work on private homes in historic fabric — listed, worth preserving, and everything between. Start with a free property report: history, current status, local plan, and three costed scenarios.
Get your free property reportFollow the series
Hear about the next Heritage Study
We publish one study at a time — a building, its history, and what it teaches. Leave your email and we will tell you when the next one is ready.
We use the address only to tell you about new Heritage Studies. Never sold on, and you can ask to be removed at any time. Privacy policy